GA Tracking Code

Monday, June 7, 2010

Pimple Persistence

My skin has been breaking out more than ever since the start of this year. Not huge breakouts, just consistent. At any given time I have 1 to 3 pimples. This is new for me. I am finding if I am diligent, I can control the quantity and severity of the pimples. But, like dieting, it is taking huge discipline. My tools:

1. Wash face right after running. I have been crazy busy this year. In an effort to drive up my energy level, I have stepped up my exercise to running 3+ miles, 3 to 4 days a week. There is nothing like lingering perspiration to ruin the skin.

2. Cut the afternoon caffeine, switch to herbal tea. I am a Starbucks addict. A double tall skim no whip mocha is my daily morning drink. When I feel low in energy in the afternoon, I have been drinking another one, or a mocha frappucino. I think the extra caffeine and milk has been adding to breakouts and skin dehydration. It takes huge will power for me to order passion fruit unsweetened tea instead of a sweet, energizing coffee.

3. Cut the dairy. I love cheese. I am a non-meat eater so I get protein and calcium from cheese. I know this causes me to get pimples around my mouth. Resisting the parmesan on a salad or brie at a cocktail party is so hard.

4. Use Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Peel Pads when desperate. Last night I had 3 inflamed, red pimples right in a row on my right cheek. I used these salicylic acid pads before bed and nothing else. My skin was clear in the morning.




5. Cover and disguise with Bobbi Brown Face Touch Up Stick (my color - warm beige). I have this bad habit of grabbing any concealer in my drawer to cover pimples with (Laura Mercier, Cle de Peau, Trish McEvoy). The problem is that they cover, but actually the oil in them feeds my blemishes. This Bobbi concealer covers and heals. I keep one in my purse. (A hint - I had to go much darker than my bobbi skin foundation color to get the right coverage.).

Annoying pimples are new territory for me. My current road map is working for now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You may try something natural - a natural face mask maybe that contains honey and oatmeal.

http://bodyscrubworld.com

Unknown said...

Please do not pick your face because not only does it scar, but it makes you break out more. Hoememade acne scrub may help.

KL said...

Thanks for the tips, Marla! I have always had really good skin but I have noticed the same problem lately. I am 35, so too old to be getting pimples! I've noticed my problem area is around my mouth and on my chin, so have chalked it up to hormones. But I will certainly incorporate some of your advice into my regimen! Thanks. I am a huge bluemercury fan.

Unknown said...

If you are using Darphin sometimes the products can be too richly formulated & you may want to adjust the formula selection from that line, something els emy be appropriate or better suited. Also I am finding not enough people property exfoliating especially in the over 40 group.
spot treating with a masqy with kaolin in thebase may also help reduce the size, irritation and inflammatin.